1 Pot Curried Potato & Lentil Soup
(45 min.) Ingredients
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 cup diced yellow or white onion
- 1 tsp minced fresh ginger
- 2 whole carrots, peeled and chopped
- Pinch sea salt + black pepper, plus more to taste
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups diced potatoes
- 1 1/2 Tbsp curry powder*
- 5-6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup green lentils, thoroughly rinsed and drained
- optional: 1 Tbsp coconut sugar, plus more to taste
- 4 cups chopped green or purple kale
FOR SERVING optional
- Fresh chopped cilantro
- Lemon juice
- Bread or Flatbread
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Once hot, add oil, onion, ginger, and carrots. Season with a pinch each sea salt and black pepper and stir. Cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently, until onions are soft and fragrant.
- Add garlic and potatoes and stir. Cook for 3-4 minutes to brown slightly, and then add curry powder. Stir to coat. Cook 2 minutes more.
- Add 5 cups vegetable broth and increase heat to medium-high. Once at a low boil, add lentils, stir, and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 20-25 minutes, uncovered, or until lentils and potatoes are tender.
- Taste and adjust seasonings, adding coconut sugar for a little sweetness (optional), more curry powder for intense curry flavor, or sea salt and pepper for more balance.
- If the soup has thickened too much, add remaining 1 cup vegetable broth, stir, and cook until warmed through.
- In the last few minutes of cooking, add the kale and cover to steam until tender but still vibrant green - about 2-3 minutes. Serve immediately.
*This post contains affiliate links and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.