Butternut Squash Soup All Curried Up
Warming butternut squash soup all curried up with a dash of coconut milk and yellow curry powder. From my friend Minimalist Baker. Butternut squash is a MUST for fall/winter, it offers vitamins B6 and awesome for the nervous and immune system. This is perfect for a fall afternoon or evening and it only takes about 45min. to prepare. Ingredients:
- 1 Tbsp coconut or grape seed oil
- 2 shallots, thinly diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups butternut squash
- Pinch each sea salt + black pepper, plus more to taste
- 1 1/2 Tbsp curry powder
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 14-ounce can light coconut milk
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2-3 Tbsp maple syrup
- optional: 1-2 tsp chili garlic paste
FOR SERVING optional
- Toasted pumpkin seeds
- Chili garlic paste
- Full fat coconut milk
- Heat a large pot over medium heat.
- Once hot, add oil, shallots, and garlic. Sauté for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add butternut squash and season with a pinch each salt and pepper, curry powder, and ground cinnamon. Stir to coat, then cover and cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add coconut milk, vegetable broth, maple syrup or coconut sugar, and chili garlic paste (optional - for heat).
- Bring to a low boil over medium heat and then reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes, or until butternut squash is fork tender.
- Use an immersion blender, or transfer soup to a blender, and purée on high until creamy and smooth. If using a blender, return soup back to pot.
- Taste and adjust seasonings, adding more curry powder, salt, or sweetener as needed. Continue cooking for a few more minutes over medium heat.
Serve as is or with garnishes of choice. Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator for 3-4 days, or in the freezer up to 1 month. Best when fresh.