Jamaican Grilled Eggplant
Jamaican Jerk Grilled Eggplant 30 min.
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp all spice
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp each sea salt and black pepper
- 2 Tbsp fresh thyme
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp fresh grated ginger
- 3 Tbsp lime juice
- 1/4 cup tamari or coconut aminos
- 2-3 Tbsp coconut sugar or maple syrup, plus more to taste
- 2 Tbsp melted coconut oil (or grape seed or avocado oil), plus more for grilling
- 3 green onions or scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 thinly sliced serrano or habanero pepper, seeds removed
- 1 large or 2 small eggplants
- 1/4 cup vegan BBQ sauce (I like Annie's)
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 Tbsp grape seed or olive oil
- 1 Tbsp coconut sugar or maple syrup
- 1 tsp fresh grated ginger
- Pinch each sea salt and black pepper
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- Pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- In a small mixing bowl, mix together cinnamon, coriander, all spice, cayenne, salt, pepper, thyme, garlic, ginger, lime juice, tamari, coconut sugar, coconut oil, green onions or scallions, and serrano / habanero pepper.
- Taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding more tamari for saltiness, lime juice for acidity, fresh herbs for earthy flavor, coconut sugar for sweetness, pepper for heat, or garlic for zing.
- Slice eggplant vertically (lengthwise) into 1/2-inch-thick "steaks" and generously brush both sides with the marinade.
- Heat up a grill or grill pan to medium-high heat and lightly oil / grease to discourage the eggplant from sticking. Once hot, add eggplant and grill on both sides until golden brown and grill marks are present - about 3-5 minutes each side.
- In the meantime, prepare sauce (optional!) by adding BBQ sauce, lime juice, oil, coconut sugar / maple syrup, ginger, salt, pepper, onion, and cayenne pepper to a small and whisking to combine. Taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding more lime for acidity, coconut sugar for sweetness, cayenne for heat, or salt for saltiness.
- Serve grilled eggplant as is or over rice.
Need to transform your "blah" kitchen to a Healthy One? Check out my 5 Must Have Basics For a Healthy Kitchen