Vegan Cinnamon Waffles W/Apples
Mama Bear, here is a yummy breakfast recipe that says FALL all over it!! The combination of waffles, apples and cinnamon is just mouth watering. Guess What!? It only takes 30 min. to prepare!! Ingredients
- For the Apples
- 3 apples (2 tart, 1 sweet) peeled and cubed
- 1 Tbsp vegan butter or olive oil
- 1-2 Tbsp brown sugar (optional)
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- For the Waffles
- 1 flax egg
- 1 Tbsp vegan butter, melted
- scant 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup or agave
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce or pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup oats
- Start by sautéing your apples. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot add butter, then apples and stir. After a few minutes add in brown sugar and cinnamon. Cover to let steam and soften, stirring frequently. Once softened (about 4-5 minutes) remove lid to let caramelize a bit more. Remove from heat.
- Next, prepare your waffles. Start by preparing flax egg by combining water and flaxseed in a large bowl and letting rest for 5 minutes.
- Add maple syrup, applesauce, melted butter or oil, brown sugar and whisk. Add almond milk and stir once more.
- Add flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon to a sifter and sift over wet ingredients. Stir until just combined. Gently fold in oats, then half of the apples. If batter appears too thick, add a little almond milk. Let batter rest for 5 minutes before while preheating waffle iron.
- Once preheated, generously spray the waffle iron with non-stick cooking spray and spoon about 1/2 cup of the batter onto the center of the iron, press down to spread the batter, and cook according to your machine’s instructions. I like to set mine to the darkest setting so it gets extra crispy.
- Once done, remove and place on cooling rack to let steam roll of and crisp up a bit. Serve warm with vegan butter (such as Earth Balance) and maple syrup, and the leftover apples.